Click on event for more information.
About the Friday hikes:
- All hikes are open to the public.
- To allow for the warm weather in October, we will be part way up the Catalina Highway for the first three hikes of the fall. We will meet at the McDonald’s at Tanque Verde and Catalina Highway at 8:00 a.m. to caravan to the trail head. You may also meet us at the trailhead. We will not start hiking until 8:45 a.m.
- Please bring plenty of water and a snack or lunch for longer hikes.
- Hiking boots or comfortable footwear.
- No pets. No smoking.
- Children under 18 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- Bad weather may change or cancel the hike.
- Cell phones for emergency only.
- Higher elevation demands good physical condition! We try to accommodate all levels of hikers.
If you have questions or want to know if the hike is canceled, call Ann at 520-429-4492 or Dick at 510-608-7722.
|October 4||Sycamore Reservoir — The trail starts at the abandoned Federal Prison Camp site 7.2 miles up the Catalina Hwy. Parking is to the left and right just inside the entrance. This hike will head toward Sycamore Reservoir. Length will be at the discretion of the leader. Hike will start no later than 8:45. Call Ann at 520-429-4492 or Dick at 510-608-7722 for more info.||We will meet at the McDonald’s at Tanque Verde & Catalina Hwy. at 8:00 a.m. and caravan to the trail head. You may also go directly to the trailhead. Hike will start no later than 8:45.||Federal Prison Camp site to Sycamore Reservoir|
|October 11||Bug Springs — 4.5 mile hike, 600-foot elevation gain. This is a two-car shuttle beginning at General Hitchcock, MP 12 Catalina Hwy, ending at the lower trail head near Prison Camp. We will organize car shuttle before we head up the mountain. Extreme ½-mile uphill climb in the beginning, then trail levels out into a downhill back to the lower trailhead, where we will shuttle back to the upper trailhead.||We will meet at the McDonald’s at Tanque Verde & Catalina Hwy. at 8:00 a.m. and caravan to the trail head. You may also go directly to the trailhead. Hike will start no later than 8:45.||4.5 mile hike with 600 foot elevation gain. Extreme 1/2-mile uphill climb in the beginning.|
|October 18||Guthrie Peak from General Hitchcock trailhead — 5.6 mile hike starts at MP 12 Catalina Hwy. at a 6000 foot elevation.||Meet at the McDonald’s at Tanque Verde & Catalina Hwy. at 8:00 and caravan to the trail head near mile post 11. You may also go directly to the trailhead. The hike will start no later than 8:45 from the trailhead.||5.6 mile hike starting at 6000 feet with an overall gain of 1300 feet. Trail is moderately difficult, with a good climb 20 minutes into it and a rock face scramble 10 minutes before reaching the peak. Good physical condition required.|