Join a Sabino Canyon Volunteer Naturalist and explore different trails on Mt. Lemmon. Exercise both bodies and brains in one (or more) of the eight biomes as we discover the flora and fauna and learn the history that makes the Santa Catalina Mountains so special.
Today’s Hike: Wednesday, Nov 29: Green Mountain Trail
Meet at Chiricahua Pine Picnic Area (MP 10.5). Bathroom at trailhead. We will hike the Green Mountain Trail up towards the Bear Saddle to a nice turn-around spot. On the way back, we will detour through the Hitchcock campground, under the highway, and end at the Chiricahua Picnic Area.
2-mile lollipop route, with about a 350-foot elevation gain. Moderate hike.
For those wishing to carpool/caravan, meet no later than 8:20 near the McDonald’s on Tanque Verde/Catalina Hwy. Those wishing to meet at the trailhead can contact Cathy at the below email for hike information. We plan to be finished and back at the trailhead by 1 p.m., but return times will vary.
– Free to the public; no reservations required. No dogs, no smoking. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
– National Forest Service parking fees apply at most trailheads: $8 day pass per car or an appropriate Interagency Pass.
– These are nature discovery hikes, not “destination” hikes. The pace will be fairly slow and distance will be less than 5 miles, but reasonable fitness is required for hiking at higher elevations.
– Bring water, snacks, lunch for longer hikes. Wear supportive shoes, and dress in layers for the unpredictable mountain weather. Bring binoculars if you have them. Hiking poles may be helpful.
– Cell phones for emergency only.
– Subject to last minute cancellation due to inclement weather or road closure. Check the website calendar on the morning of the hike for closures.
Contact Cathy at email@example.com with questions.