Join a Sabino Canyon Volunteer Naturalist and explore different trails on Mt. Lemmon. Exercise both bodies and brains in one (or more) of the eight biomes as we discover the flora and fauna and learn the history that makes the Santa Catalina Mountains so special.
Today’s Hike: Wednesday, Feb. 21: Molino Basin towards Prison Camp
Meet at Molino Basin (MP 5.6) at 9:00am. Bathroom at trailhead.
4 miles out and back, with about 600 feet of elevation change. We will hike through the campground to the trail then as far as Gordon Hirabayashi trailhead and back. Moderate.
– All hikes start at 9 am from the respective trailhead. Those wishing to carpool/caravan should meet no later than 8:30 near the McDonald’s on Tanque Verde/Catalina Highway. Those wishing to meet at the trailhead can contact Cathy at the below email for hike information. We plan to be finished and back at the trailhead by 1 p.m., but return times will vary.
– Free to the public; no reservations required. No dogs, no smoking. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
– National Forest Service parking fees apply at most trailheads: $8 day pass per car or an appropriate Interagency Pass.
– These are nature discovery hikes, not “destination” hikes. The pace will be fairly slow and distance will be less than 5 miles, but reasonable fitness is required for hiking at higher elevations.
– Bring water, snacks, lunch for longer hikes. Wear supportive shoes, and dress in layers for the unpredictable mountain weather. Bring binoculars if you have them. Hiking poles may be helpful.
– Cell phones for emergency only.
– Subject to last minute cancellation due to inclement weather or road closure. Check the website calendar on the morning of the hike for closures.
Contact Cathy at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.